Monday, August 24, 2015

Weekly Post - Week 3

Behavior

I was about to start this post by commenting that this week was somewhat unremarkable, but maybe that's something in itself. Maybe I've finally been here just long enough that things I'd previously taken as novel, new, different, surprising, or moderately off-putting don't seem so anymore. The other day in the hallway I was passing a more senior male colleague and gave him a slight bow. Then I walked away thinking "what did I just do and WHY did I just do that? I'm almost ashamed of myself." Certain behaviors rub off on you whether you like it or not, especially when you're generally an adaptable person who tries for the most part to blend in.

Stage 1- you watch people behave a certain way and think "that's kind of weird, I'll never do that"

Stage 2- you begin exhibiting said behavior but recognize you're doing it and tell yourself to stop

Stage 3- you've adopted the behavior and don't realize you're doing it

I think with these kind of things it's easier to ride the wave than battle it head on, so I'm fine inadvertently bowing to people, ditching my jeans for dresses and carrying a handkerchief in the summer. However if I start loudly slurping noodles at my desk or claiming my beat up sandals are "indoor shoes" and therefore completely acceptable for the workplace, someone please call me out on it by throwing a glass of cold water on my head. Although it is entirely possible to respect and appreciate the culture you've chosen to be a part of, at the end of the day some aspects just aren't a good fit. :)

Banter

I've also noticed that because I have exactly 1 American friend and she doesn't live close, my English is starting to become peppered with useful vocabulary picked up from the Irish, Aussie, and British network. I'll report back if any of them become permanent fixtures.

Biking

The bike is the best thing ever. So far I've ridden it to the pool twice and to Laura's for dinner. 3 bike rides in one week? That's more than I've ever used a bike in my life! I can't believe how great it is- Laura's house was a mere 12 minute cycle from mine and otherwise I would have had to walk to the station, wait for the train (albeit waiting for a train in Japan consists of 5 minutes max unless it's super early or late), emerge from the station, wander around getting my bearings, etc. It is so much more efficient to ride, and with drivers being slow and safe here I can manage not feeling scared of the crazy driver factor I would have dealt with in SF. Now I really need to buy a helmet since I left mine in Redwood City, although I'll be the only one wearing one: for an uber health and safety conscious society, that mentality doesn't extend to wearing helmets or not smoking a pack a day. This is a culture of fascinating contradictions.

Brouhaha

On a completely different note, I also hosted a housewarming party this weekend and had a ton of fun. I learned that Japanese people will always show up with a gift when you host a party (so sweet! although I maybe could have done without that last bit of sake!), and that it truly is a very rewarding experience hosting a multicultural event. There were people who didn't catch all the English conversation, people who didn't catch all the Japanese conversation, and people who probably understood both quite well. I loved it! Can't wait to host another party :)

And last but not least, this week's pics:

Lest you wonder what I mean by "my office is so Japanese sometimes basic tasks are difficult" I give you exhibit A- my desk phone. Not only from 1975, but all Japanese too. I thought I was living in the future.....huh??

Exhibit B- my inbox. Yeah, can you tell who my emails are from? Right, neither can I. I don't have a pic of Exhibit C, which would be the printer, but stay tuned for a future post.
Housewarming party crew



Approaching the Azabujuban Festival in my neighborhood- does it look crowded? Hmm....

Street blocked off for the festival

Wall to wall bodies at this thing- Elisa and I decided to bail after ten minutes but had to fight our way out of the crowd! 

Braving the crowds

I love Japanese Lanterns!

In typical Japanese style, you can't just walk around, peeps, we have to have order here. Keep left to walk on one side or the other, enforced by this welcoming policeman

And I may call you Goldilocks






No comments:

Post a Comment