Sunday, August 9, 2015

Weekly Post- Week 1

I promised a weekly update even if I don't have much to report so here we go!

Work

Whereas last weekend I was in the doldrums of jet-lagged, Japan-is-kicking-my-butt depression and literally had trouble dragging myself off the couch on Saturday afternoon even to eat (and for those who know me, that's really saying something!) this week found a much more well adjusted Lisa starring herself. I was also reminded that when I first moved to SF from Virginia I had similar moments and got through them just fine.

I think this week's accomplishment is a bit of a breakthrough at work. Up until now I have very much felt like I was struggling to establish trust and credibility, unsure of the influence I'm having within my team much less outside of it, and at a bit of a loss how to get myself involved in the right meetings and conversations given I don't speak Japanese (some of these meetings are only held in Japanese). This week, I was genuinely busy almost every day, my lifecycle leader stopped by my desk Monday (could have knocked me over with a feather), a senior leader asked for my feedback, I facilitated a good team meeting where people actually participated in a cross-functional discussion instead of looking around at each other uncertainly, and I got a bit of pushback on a communication channel I'm trying to change. Yes, this last point is a good one, because as I told my dad on the phone this week, if I'm not rattling any chains, I'm not doing what I came here to do. Change is uncomfortable, especially on established teams and especially in this culture.

Am I where I want to be at work? Far from it, but I feel like after 90 days I can finally see the light at the end of the beginner's test tunnel, and I've passed some sort of rite of passage whereby now I might be able to make more of an impact.

Study

This week it was the usual Japanese lessons Monday and Wednesday, where I learned that just when I thought I'd figured out how to use certain particles, I was introduced to new verbs which use different particles for the same objects depending on the scenario, and that there are apparently 5 different words to represent the kanji for "foot." Oh fabulous! But at least this unit included vocabulary for making restaurant reservations and hair appointments, so I'll call it a win. Since I like to keep track, I'll report that I'm on page 97 of a 239 page textbook, which means I'm roughly a bit more than a third of the way through, but feel as though I can say nothing. Well, almost nothing. Not to worry though, my friends who are second language speakers of Japanese and have studied the language for 10 years assured me three months of study is nothing and it's not unusual that I can't say anything yet. Double fab! Just have to keep going...it really is fun to have a project that humbles me, despite my cheeky complaining!

Play

I finally made summer vacation plans, though they're for September and not August. I'll be headed to Jeju Island and Busan in South Korea with my friend Taeko for a week, and then off to the bay area for a good friend's wedding in Tahoe and a chance to reunite with long lost friends there. Bay Area peeps- I'll be around Sep 23-29 and can't wait to see everyone!

The workweek was pretty busy but I did manage to get out for dinner on Wednesday with Laura at Strada Pizza. We got a bottle of wine even though it was a school night because Laura was recovering from what I can only call a complete chop job haircut. ;) But back to the pizza- Yes, it's amazing, authentic Italian style pizza in Japan! I actually have better access to good pizza in my neighborhood here than I did in California, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised because California never did really figure out how to do decent pizza (and now all my west coast friends are offended whereas my PA/NJ/NY peeps know exactly what I'm talking about!)

On Friday after work I went with friends from work to this festival  where I got a really good laugh out of a bunch of cartoony floats suspended from the ceiling in a food hall arcade type thing. Luckily our goal wasn't really the floats but the craft beer store which happened to be in the same area. It was so nice after a long week to be outside (despite the heat!) with a cold beer eating a grilled sausage from a stick and chatting with friends. Of course I succeeded once again in missing the last train home, but this time I was capable to explain to the cab driver where my apartment is. I guess I have learned a few words here and there afterall...or addresses really aren't that hard :)

I still find myself anxious about each work week and look forward to every Friday like it's a precious gift, but I have to keep reminding myself it's a marathon not a sprint, and that time spent in my comfort zone is wasted.

I didn't take too many pictures this week but here are a few since I know no one likes a blog without pics!

Tokyo Tower at night

View from balcony at my apt building

Same pic...

I've grown really tired of drinking Asahi, Sapporo, and Kirin. Thank goodness for craft beer- it does exist in Japan!

It was so hot Friday evening I kept putting my beer bottle to my forehead even though my very opinionated friend Tom claims it's really unattractive. I have to agree with him actually! Don't get me started on the fact that I'm now a lady who carries a handkerchief too...

No comments:

Post a Comment