Wednesday, May 13, 2015

First Days of Work

It's 820 and I arrive at work on my second day expecting to find a buzzing office. There are about 7 people in a workstation farm that holds over 100. One of the many things I will learn over the next few days is that my colleagues like to sleep late and work later. The average Japanese employee at my new company works a 10-12 hour day every day. On my very first day I didn't leave the office until 630pm and felt a bit out of place because most people were still there. I felt a bit better after meeting with my manager and other senior leaders who all encouraged me to stick to my "western ways" because they wanted me to set an example and provide them with some commentary about the Japanese working style after a while. Well, I have a few comments now, but I'll save them for later when I have a more reliable sample size :)

Overall my first three days have been great- I couldn't have asked for a more warm welcome or more gracious and accommodating hosts. From the moment I walked in it was obvious they had planned for my arrival very thoughtfully, and the number of people who have offered to help if I come across any trouble is overwhelming. I am truly humbled to be among these amazingly gracious and unassuming people. That extends outside the office, too- to the sushi chefs, waitresses, front desk hosts, hotel clerks, and grocery store checkout ladies I have come in contact with. I challenge you to find a more polite, helpful, genuine group of folks. I am already falling in love with this culture in many ways despite the obvious challenges I face as an outsider.


Now, on to some observations. Perhaps the best way to comment on working in Japan is to juxtapose it with working in California. 


1. Hours - at home I worked 8-430 roughly, with the occasional longer day here and there. The Japanese are at work past 8-9pm most nights, although they don't come in until 9-10ish. That's still a really long day. I have yet to determine if they really need  to work those hours to accomplish their goals or if it's just a cultural thing that they feel the need to collectively work that long and thus are somewhat inefficient. I guess it's kind of obvious where my first impression leans ;)


2. Work From Home policy - This one is really mind blowing. You aren't allowed to take your laptop home from work. Um, excuse me? What about my work from home day? Or my work from home when a delivery is coming? Or my work from home when I need a mental break from people day? Sorry Charlie, Japan has strict labor laws mandating the company control your working hours. So you are welcome to stay at the office and work from 5-10pm, but if you want to go home and work from 5-6, that's not allowed. It defies logic and reduces quality of life for everyone, but that's the way it is. See my previous post about conforming if you want to thrive. I will forever feel that this rule is backwards, but you won't find me trying to circumvent it. **Note- there is some provision that managers, directors, etc are allowed to take laptops home, and if you are on a biz trip, you can take your laptop with you.


3. Japan is The Future, and their technology proves itI was issued a gorgeous Toshiba laptop which has a touch screen and some kind of video sign in authentication. I have to enter my password on startup, but thereafter throughout the day when I want to sign in I just move my mouse and let the camera do it's work identifying me. I haven't had to call IT because the millennials in the office are so tech savvy and eager to help the new girl that they can and have solved my every problem, most of which were language related. Read Katakana and Kanji, anyone?? I was going to post a picture of my inbox but realized for company privacy reasons I probably shouldn't, especially since I can't read what I'm posting!


4. Garbage Sorting - You have a personal trash can by your desk which you have to empty yourself by carrying it to the trash sorting area and sorting your garbage accordingly into about 5 different bins labeled only in Japanese with confusing pictures. I did mine at 830 this morning so no one could see me shamelessly putting items in the wrong bins. Enough said.


5. Hosting - The Japanese are the best hosts in the world. I have never been more warmly welcomed into any environment in my life. I've had lunch plans every day with no end in sight because every hour someone new approaches me and asks if I'm free for lunch soon. Every single person who has stopped by to make an introduction has offered to help me with just about anything. Most of them are very hesitant in speaking English and very cute when they concentrate hard thinking about how to say something and then look up self consciously at me to see if they messed it up. **Note- many of them do mess it up, but not enough to misconstrue the meaning and let's face it, my Japanese is non-existent. I'm a dumb foreigner who expects everyone to speak my language. **Personal note- Japanese tutoring. 2 hours 2 evenings a week. Starting soon. Game on.


Sushi For Expats tip: The customary greeting in Japan is a bow. The deeper the bow, the greater the sign of respect. The Japanese have this down to an art form and will bow differently depending on the situation and the individual, in a work or social setting. There is no need to shake hands when you meet someone. A slight bow forward as you let your head fall to your chest will suffice as a foreigner, when greeting or taking leave of someone. DO NOT under any circumstance attempt to hug or kiss anyone. Public displays of affection are rare.

1 comment:

  1. HERE WE GOOOO!! Work life posts begin! Oh man do I have to work today? I just want to keep reading your blog.

    Re: working hours - I recently did a fun guest speech for Roche Toastmasters on the “double-edged-swordness” of Japan’s culture of “craftsmanship spirit” - and through doing research on Japan’s overworking culture. I learned that (I mean I knew this already about Japan, but the numbers still shocked me) 1 in 5 people pull in more than 80 hours of *overtime* a month, according to a 2016 government survey. 80 hours a month of overtime is the equivalent of working 12 hour days, every DAY. Like you said. Sweet mercy!

    Re: technology - WOW they had laptops for office workers with video sign in authentication technology back in 2015???! Man we’re so behind here in North America.

    Re: “DO NOT under any circumstance attempt to hug or kiss anyone.” - Did you accidentally go in for a hug ever and caught yourself halfway? HAHAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete